Monday, January 11, 2010

Where has all the time gone?

Oh my gosh! I haven't been here in so long I forgot my password!

Let's talk about Germany!

My daughter Erica, my sister Dixie and I had a GREAT time. I think this was the best trip ever despite my feet hurting every single day, all day long! It took weeks for me to get over the feet issue after we got back!

We stayed in Munich for about 3 days, Oberammergau for a week and then Salzburg for another three days! I really didn't like Munich when I went in 2003 but I really liked it much better this time for some reason although I saw more trash on the streets and more beggars than ever before. Maybe it's because we stayed near the train station which isn't ever in the nicest part of any city, is it?

One of the things that stressed me out in 2003 was having to find a place to eat and then having to find my own seat. In America, we usually have hostesses who seat us. No so in Germany. Then for places that had a beer hall and a nicer section to eat in, which do you use? So in November, on our first day there, we went into the Augustiner near the Marienplatz and a waiter met us near the front. He said hello and asked us how many people and we said three. He took us right back to the seats near the kitchen. In America, that is not good. I decided right then that I would not be offended because maybe it wasn't the same in Germany. I was just delighted that someone seated us. Come to find out, the waiter took us right back to his station which happened to be in the back. WOOO WEEEEE! He gave us all menu's in English (I wanted to practice my German) and suggested some dishes for us. We all ordered something different and everything was just awesome. Our waiter was friendly and I got to practice rounding up with him on the tip and we had one fantastic meal. That was a great first meal and really set my heart at ease for future meals. We actually were met and seated several times over our two weeks there. How nice!

I got to meet a German Aunt and Uncle that I had never met before. My Mom and her sister had a falling out with their brother and didn't speak to him for over 40 years. Finally, they smoked the peace pipe and I got to meet my Aunt Dagmar and my Uncle Walter. We went to dinner (it was wonderful) at their house, we met for cake and coffee and I got to meet their son, his new wife and their 2 year old. I just fell in love with my Aunt and Uncle. My Aunt speaks very good English and my Uncle understood most of what we said. I think meeting them was the highlight of our trip!

Staying in Oberammergau was fun. I picked our place off the Internet at Tripadvisor.com and we could not have picked a better place. We stayed at a holiday house run by Anton and Penny Neu near the Ammer River and we loved, loved, loved our holiday house. There was fresh rolls for us every morning and there was a grocery store within walking distance across the river! Anton can tell you something crazy funny with a straight face and Penny was very helpful in directing us to local festivals and answering any questions we might have.

I got to see my cousin Christine, her husband Lothar, their kids Kevin and Vivenne. We had lunch and then visited my Uncle Karl's and Aunt Ella's grave together. My sweet Aunt and Uncle had passed away since I was there last and it was a very special moment for me to stand at their grave with their daugther and her family. I love the Oberammergau cemeteries. I have never been in a more beautiful or peaceful place in my life. My grandparents are in the New cemetery and they were buried there in 1955. My Aunt and Uncle are in the Old Cemetery and they were buried there in 2005 and 2006. Go figure.

One evening and morning we were blessed with snow in Oberammergau. Dixie and I happened to look outside one night and we could see the snow coming down near the street light. When we got up the next morning, it was snowing and there was snow on the ski runs that was sticking but it was wet snow in town. It was snow none the less. I got it on video!

We absolutely loved Salzburg. Salzburg might be my new fav big city! We certainly saw more of it this time than we have ever seen before. Our Sound of Music tour was awesome. I was hoping that it would be different than it was the last time and it was. Different route, different size bus and a different tour guide. Somehow the tour didn't seem as long but what we did see was just awesome. St. Gilgen below a brooding, cloudy sky from above the city was something I will never forget. I would like to take the drive myself if we go back.

More next time! Have a rowdy good day!

Rowdy

No comments: